Sound Insulation Testing (Part E)

When new dwelling has a party wall or floor with an adjoining dwelling. These building elements must comply with sound transfer requirements. For the builder or developer there are two options:

Sound insulation testing, or pre-completion testing may be carried out on new a new dwelling or a renovation of a previous building into a dwelling. A party wall will require an airborne test and party floors/ceiling must be tested for both Airborne and Impact sound transfer.

Sound insulation testing must comply with Building Regulations Approved Document E as per the link below.

Building Regulations 2014

Technical Guidance Document E – Sound (PDF)

Department of Planning, Housing and Local Government

Do I need a Sound Insulation Test?

Under Building Guidance Document E you will require sound insulation testing if you are:

  • Building a block or blocks of flats

  • Building a hotel, hostel or house of multiple occupancy

  • Building terraced or semi-detached houses

  • Converting a building whereby you create more dwellings than previously existed (eg converting a house or offices into residential dwellings)

If you’re not sure, give us a call and we can talk you through everything sound testing Ireland related including the regulations and your options.

Complete Package

Along with energy calculations we can save clients time and money by providing a complete package of BER, DEAP, Air test, Sound Test (or commercial equivalent). We negotiate a minimum number of tests on your behalf and limit the number of site visits to drive down overall cost. Contact us for more details.