What is a DEC Assessment?

Display Energy Certificates (DEC) are applicable to all public buildings with a total useful floor area greater than 250m². DECs are required to provide information about how energy efficient a public building is.

Similar to an EPC, the building will receive an energy rating from A-G and is based on the performance potential of the building fabric and HVAC services. This rating directly correlates to actual building running costs that our surveyors will accumulate from 12 month’s utility bills.

Where the building has a total useful floor area of more than 1,000m², the DEC is valid for 12 months. The accompanying advisory report is valid for seven years.  Where the building has a total useful floor area of between 250m² and 1000m², the DEC and advisory report are valid for 10 years.

What does a DEC tell you?

Click the below image to view typical information shown on Display Energy Certificates. You can also click to download a sample DEC.

Public Display Energy Certificates can only be produced by an accredited Energy Assessor and should be displayed no smaller than A3 in a prominent place clearly visible to members of the public. DECs will be on display most likely in the Reception area of all public buildings. Fines can be issued for failing to display a DEC and failing to have a valid advisory report.

Private organisations

Private organisations don’t need a DEC but can choose to get one if they want to. They may still need an Energy Performance Certificate if the building is sold or rented.

Where to find the certificate

Public authorities must display their certificate in a prominent place clearly visible to the public, for example, near the building’s entrance. They can be fined £500 if they don’t. You should contact the occupier of the building if you can’t find the DEC.


Public buildings in Scotland must have an Energy Performance Certificate instead of a DEC.

How we can help?

As we produce a high volume of ratings we are therefore able to provide competitive rates so please contact us for a quotation. If you are located in Scotland or interested in obtaining the energy rating of a non public building, we also provide a commercial EPC service.